So I've been waiting forever to be able to start doing this. My computer won't let me for some reason. My sister is in town and brought hers so I thought I would cease this opportunity. I always told people that I shouldn't have a blog, that it would be less than entertaining...so no guarantees. It will be more for me and my creative outlets.
I sit here wondering when I will get tired (as I often do on my nights off)...memories of nights that I've stayed up bored to tears until 6am haunt me. I have found, however, that it is the most opportunistic time to do reflection and thinking. Quiet, dark, almost audible thoughts.
I'm still trying to get used to Birmingham. After living in ONE place all of my life and knowing every single person there, this is a huge change. In some ways bad (bored, sometimes lonely) but so many ways amazing that I wouldn't have ever seen coming. I'm getting to know myself and who I really am more than I ever have. My character has changed so much in the past year.
People here are...well, different. Not a day goes by (that I actually come into contact with people) that I am astounded at the audacity and pure shamelessness of Birmingham's inhabitants. Guys come up with the most preposterous pick up lines that can only make me wonder if they have ever come into contact with a woman. Girls just stare....and not in a good way always. I'm not saying this is birmingham-specific behavior, but it all seems so amplified to me now. There are some great people here and many that I know are in the cards for me to meet in good time. My patients often ask me if I'm from around here (if they are actually of the small percentage that have anything to request other than pillows or a food tray). When I tell them I'm from Misssissippi, they always ask what led me here. I never know what to say. It is only by chance and circumstance that I find myself in this "non-hilary" type place. I now have settled on the rehearsed line that is much easier than going into long babble about my life - "well all of my friends from college were getting married, and I needed a change of scenery."
Does that sound negative? If it does, by all means don't misunderstand my disposition here. I love my job and where I live. Change is good. The uncertainty of my future is absolutely invigorating.
For the past 3 years, I have been a tad obsessed with running. Not anything competitive, but my devotion to is alarming to some. Although I love that part of my day, I know that it is wearing on my body. So I've decided to mix it up. I just bought a mountain bike. It's sitting in MS with my parents right now and I feel like a child that can't go to sleep because they are so excited about something. I will pick it up this week. I have been "training" on the stationary bike as much as I can to prepare. I even looked at those awful tight shorts with padding in the butt that honestly find repulsive...but whatever is necessary. So I will most definitely be blogging about that new adventure in my life when it begins to develop.
I'm watching 300 right now. Very intense. Very far from my usual movie interest of stupid comedy or chick flick with an occasional horror film. I'm going back to it now...Not all my posts will be this lengthy or seemingly serious. I felt the need to catch up for a bit of lost time.
One flight down
There's a song on low
And your mind just picked up on the sound
Now you know you're wrong
Because it drifts like smoke
And it's been there playing all along
Now you know
Now you know
The reeds and brass have been weaving
Leading into a single note
In this place
Where your arms unfold
Here at least you see your ancient face
Now you know
Now you know
The cadence rolls in broken
Plays it over and then goes
One flight down
There's a song on low
And it's been there playing all along
Now you know
Now you know
Saturday, August 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
guess who found your blog hilaryelise!!!
it took one try and there you were.
i must say. i love your blog. and you'll now find a link on mine to yours.
our blogs are buddies. remind me to text you the link to my OTHER blog.
h
Yay!!! I love reading your blog. I am seconding everything you wrote. Jon and I will add you to our page. Did you splurge for netflix??? I am using this as an opportunity to chat... haha. It was really geat seeing you! I LOVED catching up and laughing the night away as usual! Let me know how the biking goes! Our bike is the best!
LOVE LOVE LOVE,
e l i z a b e t h
Hi Hilary!
I am a blogger too since E and J have theirs! SOOOO nice to be with you in Bham. I miss all you gals (young ladies) whatever! Come see me when you are home!
Love,
Debbie
Post a Comment