

Here's a report from the weekend in BG:
Let's see, where did I leave off? Morning tennis was fun. I haven't played in so long that I'm STILL sore from such a long session (best feeling in the world by the way). Buckhead cafe with the girls and a very special singing birthday candle. The Balloons, Tunes, and BBQ festival" was just about what I thought it would be minus the ferris wheel. In place, were the staple rickety, nausea provoking, child-filled rides that are at every traveling fair. Hot air balloon races, candied apples, terrible singing, and children running everywhere! So with 10 tickets in hand, Hailey and I ventured off to the rides accompanied by our camera-holding, too scared to ride friends- Harris, Hannah, and Gevin. Let me mention here that we were the oldest people anywhere near the rides that weren't there to chaperone children. The first ride is the one that I had mentioned 5 minutes before as the ONLY ride I don't want to set foot on. Hailey insisted, and of course I caved. BAD mistake. How long did it take to set up this dirty piece of machinery run by someone who would be about a $1500 (for you Hailey, Hannah, and Harris). As we watched the people ride the cycle before us. We negotiated with the operator that we only wanted to go half the rounds that they did. We came to a deal of 6 one way and 6 the other. Hands shaken, butts in the car, door closed. What have we done?
Now I won't lie, the first loop was fun, exciting, scream-filled and nausea free. It was the 45 after that made me want to jump out near the ground to avoid one more whiplash causing front flip. Through the horror, I found myself laughing. The second ride (which was 15 minutes and many staggered steps later) was wonderful! We stayed upright and always went forwards. Despite the upgrade in safety of this ride, Hailey and I continued to scream for both fun and to make a spectacle (What? it was my birthday).
The second ride was fun though nauseating nonetheless. Have I reached that point in my life where I can't ride them? I refuse to think so and will try again next time. Done with rides for that night, we pawned off our remaining tickets and headed to the other side of the fairgrounds. Now I know what a funnel cake is, but I had yet to hear of an elephant ear. Some would be shocked and say I've missed out, but I say that I don't need to know about anything else that is composed mainly of sugar and lard deep fried and smothered in powdered sugar. I was luckily still too nauseated to do anything more than eat a bite of it to say I had tried it.
Back at Mimosa, there was friends, kareoke, and dancing. All some of my favorites. we finished the night off at Brew Co. and Ogden park on the slides (Yes Hailey, I know the name ;) One of my favorite birthdays to date.
Back in Birmingham and a long-needed run. Trips are exciting and refreshing, but I love routine...what can I say? After the weekend and its events, I was reminded how drama-free my life is right now. I don't think I have ever been this far from any drama. I love it! I'm suddenly reminded of why it's JUST FINE to not be in any sort of romantic relationship right now. My perspective is so different, clearer. So it's back to regular life and ALOT less eating hopefully. I'm very excited about upcoming time outside without sweating to death. There is nothing like crisp fall weather. Camping trip anyone?
They say that "to be or not to be" is the choice that will change your life. True...but isn't it more life changing to love rather than not?
6 comments:
i am not familiar with the elephant ear either! starkville did not have start having fairs until we were in college, so i guess that is our excuse. glad to see the pics from BG... looks like it was pretty crazy, haha!
lovelovelove
I'm so glad you left a comment on the blog. I read your entire blog yesterday, word for word. Is that stalkerish? Sorry if so.
You are fun, too. and so in shape. I wish I had a bike like you.
and no, I do not kayak often, but would if I had the opportunity.
hope to see you soon!
nice to find your blog! i love having new people to stalk!
Hey, Hilary! So glad to see your blog from Heather's! Sounds like you had a great birthday!
Love-
Ashley Ivy Benjamin
I am so glad you have joined the blogging world!!! I look forward to keeping up with you. Looks like you had a FANTASTIC birthday! I'm jealous. :) See you soon!
Jordan
Hey!
You and Hailey haven't forgotten how to laugh thank goodness! I loved that noise around here!
Love,
Mama Cooper
Post a Comment