Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"I'm in hog heaven"


Now, don't be misled by my title. I would NEVER legitimately use this phrase. It just happened to be our phrase of the night. Tonight Krissy, Harris, and I had the pleasure of strapping on our aprons and exercising our artsy sides. What might you ask? Sips n' Strokes! It seems as though no one I talk to has heard of this so I'll explain.

Definition: A company that employs semi-professional artists to display their paintings and tutor Bob Ross wanna-be's step by step through a beautiful painting that you can take home. The "sips" entails you being able to bring the beverage of your choice to enjoy with friends.

Reality: A less than put-together woman in her mid 40's with an affinity for big t-shirts and smudging her fingers in paint teaching about 25 ladies how to paint a decent looking picture while tipsy.

This happens to be one of my favorite activities that I've done in Birmingham. I, myself, don't claim to be very artsy, but I will say that my painting turned out very respectably. We have now vowed to buy our own aprons(donned with our names), sit in the back, and attend this event once a month. Sorry no photos from the actual event, my camera sucks.

Now more updates on my life:
-Phantom of the Opera came to the BJCC and I happened upon an extra ticket with friends. Amazing show! I can't believe something like this came to Birmingham. I have seen broadway shows before, but my love for them has now been affirmed and already have plans to go see Annie in January.
-My sweet parents came to see me Saturday for the day. It was so good to see them and spend time here running them around the town and still trying to catch some of the football games.
-My car officially needs fixing. It had a few scares several months ago. Had it checked out, got the clear, kept driving. It now sounds like it's crying about 75% of the time I drive it. I hate getting my car fixed. New car? I wish.
-I still haven't gotten my work schedule for the days surrounding my race. I'm nervous that a)I won't get off and b) I won't be ready for this race. I remember the reason I did it in the first place so I try not to stress about it.
-Another wedding Saturday. I'm actually very excited about this one. Different crowd of people and I get one of my weekends off...always nice.
-I will be attending "Boo at the Zoo" Sunday night and I must say I'm ecstatic about it!!
I've tried to recruit. I'm contemplating getting dressed up. What do you think? I've been told recently that I should find some kids to take so I won't look so silly...Anyone willing to offer their darlings for the night so a 22 yr old won't make a spectacle of herself?
-Finally, on a serious note, I've learned alot in the past month about just swallowing things sometimes. I have found so many instances where verbalizing my thoughts would make me feel better, look less like an idiot, and possibly solve the problem. I have also found that the chances of worsening the situation are not worth simply easing my thoughts or making me feel better most of the time.

So much to learn...So much learned already

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want to sip n' stroke. that sounds like a blast! there is a comminty center in our neighborhood that offers pottery and stained glass classes, but i have not had time to join... maybe one of these days. did i tell you i learned to crochet? more than a chain... hahaha! hope all is well! lovelovelove

haileyrenea said...

i have to say, i'm impressed by your painting. wish i could have been there. maybe when i visit? please?

ps- hannah and i talked again today about visiting you soon. it WILL happen :)

h